About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Monday, March 9, 2009

New Years Crack Down!


It was only a couple days after the clock struck midnight, and the new year was upon us, that my company put a massive lock down on the internet use. (which I might just be violating now, but I figure if I can get on the website, it's mine to get on!)
The list, issued to us in the form of an email, was long. Two columns of dos and don'ts and must nots, that we kinda laughed at. You couldn't get on streaming radio sites. Which I could see...I mean if everyone was streaming, it slowed things up. Got it. Likewise YouTube was out. And time wasting sites were gone, like MySpace and Facebook. You could go to sites about ghosts and the paranormal, but don't even TRY to send an e-card. Yes to wedding sites. No to file sharing sites.
And on it went....
I've never been on drugs, but I gotta think that trying NOT to log into my MySpace to change the background and post funny lil glitter graphic, was a kin to kicking black tar heroin! The shakes only lasted a lil while. You still have to sell me on Facebook; navigating on that thing stinks and I swear if I meet the ass that invented 'little greenies' I'll kill him dead. But with it's suddenly gone - I kinda miss it.
Plus it kinda sucked cuz our artist community at work, finally got an organized Facebook page and then we couldn't use it. Being of the creative folk, you need stuff like that to reset or inspire your think time. It's amazing how something like a lil game of Bejeweled might get me into a different state of mind and the ideas that happen to pop up. (of course any type of Flash based games were zapped as well)
Don't get me started about online radio! I mean...all the different channels to put you into a certain mood to create. I have a subscription to XM and loved having all that available to me on line as well.
But fuggetaboudit!
The funny thing is you could still get on line to ebay, or shopping sites. So you could help the economy by spending money, but you couldn't get inspiration to help at your job to make you more money.
Did I waste time, sure. Did I put off some work for the ability to update my Myspace background by using my graphic powers for evil? Yes. But isn't that the process of creativity?
I'll say this much, at 2:30pm everyday my computer comes to a halt and I wait a snails pace to do a simple task like open an email. Don't even think about opening a 10mg or so of photoshop! The rage in me surging to the point I think I'm going to start Hulking-out and toss my computer through the huge plateglass windows in the front of the office.
So if we didn't save on time by limiting our ability to streaming audio, what the hell? I think a snails pace is better than me having a stroke any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...