About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Friday, May 29, 2009

A lil dab will do ya



Much like a tree, with aged rings inside it, you can count how old a woman is by the amount of creams she puts on her face. Being in my 40's, I now have 4 products I'm loyal to in my night and day regime.


I've never been one to use a lot of face products, maybe a simple moisturizer in the morning. Moving to the east coast learned me tho. Winter months dry you out like a piece of leather in a desert B movie (sheik included). I took to slathering on the lotion in between my usual applications. A bottle of lotion in the car, the desk drawer at work, the bar where my hands go in and out of hot water all night.


But I've not always been good to my skin. A history, as many California beach girls will admit, of hours on end in the sun. "Thermal Nuclear Tanning Oil" for that "Get down brown tan", was my weapon of choice for many years. At SPF O it was really no more than Wesson oil, which puts a lovely brown on the Thanksgiving turkey.


My sisters called me "Cocoa Baby" my mom said I looked like a migrant farm worker. That didn't stop me from basking in the sun.


Till now. My days of power tanning are over!


Last year I finally went to a dermatologist. I had funny lil dark patches on my cheeks. I wanted to know if the "big C" had finally caught up to me. It ended up a combination of skin damage and the use of birth control and a bill for $400 worth of creams and prescriptions.


They worked! The spots faded and my skin felt divine. Then I went into the sun a couple times and the patches floated to the top again. I guess the dermatologist wasn't lying about a "wide brimmed hat", which I can see myself getting right after carrying a purse: it's NOT going to happen.


So I guess I will continue to do my best to stay out of the sun and rotate my creams and potions to hold onto whatever youth still clings to these bones. If you got it, flaunt it....just in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...