About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Come, you spirits, that tend on mortal thoughts


It seems Halloween is ALL I can think of lately. I've got it in my soul these days. Not many folks have a favorites folder, on their computer, that h0lds nothing but Halloween links. From fonts to monster building how-to sites, I have them all neatly packed, just a click away, and visit them often during the day.

I made the mistake of stopping into Target last night. The excitement that swelled in my chest, as I gazed upon all the Hallo-goodies! I tend to wait to purchase things, cuz the price goes down quick on seasonal goods. Major purchases are the day after at 75%, but then it's the luck of the draw for whatever is left. Seeing as many of the items at Target were few, I felt the need to purchase some lights. It wasn't just any string of lights...they were motion activated mini strobes on a string with sound effects!!
Come ON! How could I pass those up? I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. But I got'em!

I try my darndest to put on a yard haunt every year. My only problem is my goal is to scare the peewaddy out of the kids. My girlfriends goal is to happily hand out candy and try to get through the night without me making someone cry. Our ideas of perfect Halloweens seems to conflict.

I'm working a 4 fog machine (one of them a ground fogger) operation here! Someone better cry!

I got ground breaking zombies, I got giant spiders, I got ravens with glowing eyes! I've got a boom box in the front blasting Midnight Syndicate and I've got an ipod on an outdoor speaker cranking out Rusty Knife at the front door. Strobe lights, red traffic lights, green and blue spot lights....I've got um!

For a number of years I was a goth, rock and roll vampire, Manson contacts in my eyes and all. I'd lurk in the dark shadows by the front door and then come running out to the kids who were already inching their way up the walk.
You see....grandpa sits by the front door. A hidden fog machine sits under his chair, to give just an extra jump out of the kids that make it that far! It's all the can see at the end of the walkway. They need to walk the walk if they want the chocolate. Some of them...never make it. That's when I get to run them all the way to the street!


Last year I was grandpa. I had lulled the kiddies into a false sense of ease that grandpa was nothing more than a newspaper stuffed creation. Then up I rose! I chased kids halfway down the block, groaning and waving my kettle of candy around, "You forgot your candy!"

One kid in a group, scattering as fast as they feet would carry them, dropped his sack while running away. The other kids grabbed him, "LEAVE IT!!"

Leave it? LEAVE IT?!?! sigh....A crowning moment...truly. What kid would ever leave the holy grail, which on Halloween appears as a pillowcase stuffed with sweets, to run for their life? Only one that felt their life was in danger.

My work here....is done!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...