About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Seasonal Blah


For the most part I love Upstate NY. A lot of folks around here think I'm nuts, when they find out I'm a California girl. I've been here since '98 and it still amazes me when the seasons change.

But there is one time when I could move out of the area till Mother Nature gets spring in full swing.

It's that annoying season I call "Splush": it's not quite Spring and we still have slush, which could be left over snow or dreary, cold rain. Then add to that the time change, where it's dark when you get up in the morning.

Splush!

I don't get Seasonal Affect Disorder, which I should. We go 6 months without a good dose of vitamin D from good ol Sol. (who I use to have quite the personal relationship with in Cali) But Splush can just drag ya down. It's the grey, wet cold of it. Splush gets in your bones and chills your core. Your shoes are wet and your hair is damp and the sun is no where to be seen. Splush rains and it blows and it goes from 50 degrees to -4 wind chill at a moments notice.
I'm looking out the window right now and it looks like a scene from a post-apocalyptic movie. The only life is the flag across the street whipping on it's rusty pole. First one way, then the other, getting caught in the middle by the weight of it's wetness on the rough metal. Till finally a mighty gust rips it free and it starts over again.

So when I get so geeky excited about the green coming back in the grass, or the first crocus breaking the icy earth to peek a purple petal toward the sky, it's all due to Splush keeping me down and out.

Or....it could be that I'm just geeky excited about Mother Nature's work, once again, amazing me. And you sure can't get that on a beach in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...