About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's the best state fair.. in our state



It's that time of year folks! Welcome to the Great New York State Fair.


Being a transplant from California, this was an awesome experience for me. I gotta tell ya...when funds are put into creating a giant sculpture made of out of butter or you find folks boasting they can deep fry an Oreo, you've got MY attention!


This event really is the crossroads of humanity. You've got folks that crawl out from under rocks to go to this thing; toothless, shoeless, stumbling drunk! It's worth eating a four foot long rope of fried dough, rolled in crunchy bakers sugar, on a bench near the emu barn just to watch the parade of crazy walk on by.


Duck races, stunt dog shows, chainsaw carving, the John Deer synchronized dance team...I could go on and on and on. It's a non-stop list of events that make your jaw drop and say, "Really? Who does this kinda thing?"


Among the various "circus freak show" type events is the product placement. You can do your large item shopping at the state fair as well, oh yes! Need a tractor? What about a hot tub? There must be 5 different hot tub dealers at the fair. Cuz when I'm thinking fried food till I puke, I'm also thinking about getting into a bathing suit and taking a dip!


"Damn...if I had only bought one bloomin' onion I could have bought a hot tub!"


Mops that don't absorb, multi-task choppers that never seems to do all the things they promise, ink pens you blow through to make fantastic art (and pass out due to lack of oxygen), telescoping flag poles, cell phone accessories, tiedye everything, sunglasses for $10, sunglasses for $8 or sunglasses 2 for $15.


It makes the childhood tune of "Which of these things is NOT like the other..." play over and over in my head. There are not many places you can get shit faced on draft beer and pet a giraffe all in the same day.
Thank Oprah it only comes around once a year....I'd never go home!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...