About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

If diamonds are a girl's best friend...where does that leave my dog?



I was struck by the amount of commercials this holiday season for diamonds: rings, pendants, loose, set in your press on nails, up in your grill, you name it!


It seems in an economy like ours, diamonds shouldn't really be all that high on the list. They cost A LOT!! And while some folks see them as an investment, the poor shlub that's giving them to the woman in their life, ain't gonna see a 'return' when she walks out the door with his investment, the kids and half his crap.


But more than the number of these commercials, it's been the message. We've been told that "A Diamond is Forever", I mean...that's commitment! Did you know that Americans were really the only ones that needed a diamond engagement ring? In the 60's diamond sellers started targeting Europe and Japan with the frenzy that women in America ask for their "best friend" for any occasion these days.


That's right, the diamond is no longer just for bent knee. Nooooo. Now women, probably a lil older, still waiting for Mr. Right while climbing the corporate ladder, can buy their own "right hand ring". Ya...it's soooo important to have a diamond that you can literally propose to your SELF!


So there on the TV, commercial after commercial, is pretty much the message: Who cares about the guy...how big was the diamond?


Ahhhhh....the sanctity of marriage! Viva Las Vegas, baybee!


I'm seeing why they don't want gays to get married. The diamond industry would take a serious hit. I'm pretty sure the lesbians would be the most likely to tie the knot. Lesbians can't afford diamonds, ya'll! Now gay men....double 'male' income, no babies? They would be draped in diamonds!


Not so much the lady friends.


I'm thinking a bent nail, from the Home Depot isle they met in. Or maybe the baby spoon their Asian daughter used, wrapped around the ring finger. And of course rainbow jewelry....Lezzies looooooove the rainbows! The colors of gay pride, forever melted into silver. Nothing says tacky like decorating jewelry in rainbow colors.


Then there is the tattoo ring. The name of your lover, carefully scripted, around your ring finger, to last forever. Only women would be THAT crazy!


Maybe the diamond people were on to something there. Maybe they just meant tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...