About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"...but....how do I answer the phone?"



That was the question I asked the sales guy at Verizon. And in that moment I felt as old as dirt.


I've been in need of a new phone for some time now. After switching back and forth to family plans and back to single plans, I've had my phone long enough that the buttons don't work quite right anymore. The battery only lasts a day when it use to go a few at a time. Not to mention I'm a tech whore who loves a new toy that lights up and makes noise.


Little known fact with cell phone companies: It seems that every time you change your plan around, you screw yourself out of paying them for a new phone. I don't get that part of the cell phone biz. I mean, what's it to them if I want to buy a new phone? You'd think they would like people coming in and plunking down hard earned cabbage for the newest, gleaming, hunk of over prices plastic and Japanese micro chips (are they still micro chips, or have they evolved too?)


I finally got to a halfway point where I got a whopping $30 off. HOLD ME BACK!! Since I wanted a Motorola Droid, that's like throwing a penny through the hole in a tire swing and hoping it will plug it up!


My biggest problem was that you have to buy a data package. There are all these extra lil bits and bytes that they nickle and dime you for. One mystery is a 'kb of data'. I asked my sales guy WTF that was:


"Um....well....it's hard to measure."


Really??? Cuz you seem to measure it just fine on my bill. $2-$5 extra if I happen to hit that one button and get myself a lil kb on the side.


So it boiled down to two phones: one I would have to pay $10 extra anyway and the Droid was just $4 more from that. I mean...what's $4 right? (yes I know it's technically $14, but let's not think of that right now) If I had taken the time to multiply that over a year and added all the taxes and everything else they are going to hit me with...I would have walked out the door and used my old one till it fell apart. But instead.....


"WRAP IT UP!"


It is a cool phone....I gotta say! It's a GPS, it's email, it's facebook on command, it's MP3 that can now be your ringtone (miracle of miracles). No...it's not cool....it freakin' rocks my world!


So I'll deal with the bill when it comes. For now I'm in techie heaven and loving every unlimited kb of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...