About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Dome. And I ain't talkn' SU.



I'm doing it again, shaving my melon for kids cancer on March 21st.


It's been two years since the team I was with raised $12,000 for St. Baldrick's. I've set my sights higher this year: $20,000. But I think we have the group to do it.


10 women make up the Bald Banshees. It's the first all woman shave team for this event. I made the organizer promise that we had a lock on that title before I would commit.


"David, have you ever had an all girl shave team?"


"Well....let's see," he says with his Irish accent. "There were some teachers one year...."


"But was that team all girls?"


"No.....but there was a team of sheriffs another year...."


"All girls?"


"Nah....I don't think so."


"David....I'm not doing this unless I can be your official first all female team"


"Are you saying you want to be the first all girl team or you're not doing it?"


"Yes."


"YOU are my first, official, all girl shave team." as a smile spreads over his face.


When I did this the first time, I never expected the reaction I got from other women who didn't do it. It was amazing to see the level of vanity still attached to hair.


In the old days it was all a woman had. A symbol of wealth, stature. To hear women say to me, "I could never do what you just did!" as I stood before them, unable to take my hand off my stubbly head, thinking, "But it was so easy to do for such a good cause!"


I'm not saying I wasn't nervous. I'm not saying I wasn't well on my way to being drunk by the time they clipped my shoulder length locks. I will tell you that nothing sobers you up more than when you can feel a cold breeze on the back of your head that you've never felt before.


Then it gets to be a lil like a pregnant woman...everyone thinks they can just start rubbin' your head. I do enjoy that, so I'm not so much against it, but I'm sure most folks have felt a man's shaved head. I'm guessing it's not much different, but they would pet my bunny soft fuzz like it was odd. I guess on a woman it is.


My arms were actually sore for a couple days, cuz I kept reaching up and rubbing my own head! And thinking back, it didn't take long at all for it to grow back. I think every woman should shave her head at least once. It can be a life altering moment to be under the razor, a la G.I. Jane.


If we can get to $20,000...it will be a life altering moment for some kid with cancer too.


PLEASE DONATE




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...