About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Oops, I did it again.



Two years ago I shaved my head for kids cancer. I was the only woman on a male team. It was very moving to sheer my locks of vanity in-front of a packed house.


This time 10 women banded together to all shave for the same event. Plus we made our goal of $20,000 in the last few minutes before we took the stage.


It was incredible. It's one of those moments that you put a pin into and always comeback to it. Not like some memories that have that shity post-it-note glue on them, that dries, and the note falls behind the desk. Those memories are sleeping with the dust bunnies.


It's the kind of memory that stirs your emotions and warms your heart. It keeps the recall embers burning so that it's always fresh when you want to revisit.


The crowd seemed to love the idea of an all female team. When we stood outside to take picture, folks honked and waved as we assembled on a street corner outside the pub.


As I travel around town, I'm greeted with, "I know where you were this weekend." Folks 'in the know' are more then ready to point out my lack of hair.


It's cold without hair! But it's too much a badge of courage to cover with a cap.


Someone said only 50 women out of 400+ participants shaved. We were 10 of them. I feel pretty durn good about that. I'm pretty durn proud of those 10 women as well.


I think this is the last shave for me. I mean, how do you one-up an all girl shave team. And as they say in Gypsy, "Ya gotta have a gimmick." Now maybe it's time to warm my heart with giving, instead of trying to keep my head warm after shaving.

2 comments:

  1. Nice story. Thanks for sharing....made me all warm and fuzyy. :) Good person you are!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...thanks. It's already growing back, as I type.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...