About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jouney to the center of the backyard



I've had a number of dogs in my day. Roxy is the first one I've had on the East Coast. There's something we have here, that I didn't have on the Left Coast - winter. With winter comes snow. Snow covers a lot of things. One of the main things is poop.


Yes...I said it...poop. Lots and lots of it. If your squeamish, you might want to stop here. I'm going to talk a LOT about it. Hell...I'm going to even sing about it.


While it's covered in pretty white stuff, it is easy to forget that down below, is a layer so unholy, that it would give you nightmares.


The first winter we had Roxy, and mind you she was yet a pup, it was shocking. Even more shocked was LTR who had a life time of litter pans and never had to deal with puppy poops. I was of the mind to celebrate and say, "Cool! I don't have to pick anything up all winter!"


It was anything BUT cool when winter went away.


I handed LTR a plastic grocery bag, tiptoed out into the ungodly mess and started to poop-scoop. LTR hung with me for maybe the first, full bag. When the second bag started to fill up I noticed a strange green hue creeping up around her cheeks. As I heaped a hearty scoop into the bag, she turned tail and was nothing more than a cartoon puff of smoke with bobby pins spinning in the air.


And I was alone.....in a wasteland of waste.


Over the years I learned from that experience. For starters, don't count on LTR to help with the winter clean up. More importantly; work in layers.


As the snow starts to melt and the levels start to shrink, you see on the horizon, lil zombie turds rising from the snow. Get out there and SCOOP! Scoop like your life depended on it.


You don't want to wait till the snow is gone and the Baby Ruth's have thawed. It's not going to help you in the picking up process. Turds on ice is the only way to scoop.


After you get used to this horrific part of spring, I find myself trying to look at the positive, such as: this year I found, in a perfectly flattened dropping, a preserved squirrel's paw print. I wondered if the squirrel, after stepping in it, looked at his paw and said in a Alvin the Chipmunk voice, "Ah shit!"


There was evidence of the Xmas M&M fiasco, where we dropped them and Roxy sucked them up faster than we could get our hands on them. What laid before me was filled with red and green polka dots.


I also like to hum while scooping, it seems to distract from the horrors I see before me. Often times changing the lyrics to fit the occasion. Of course show tunes are my favorite.


South Pacific

I'm gonna wash that poop right out of my shoe

I'm gonna wash that poop right out of my shoe

I'm gonna wash that poop right out of my shoe

Or throw it right away


Or some Guys and Dolls

Scooping turds it is so laaaaame

Nothing is so absurd

That stupid dog she is to blaaaame

For this scooping is such a pain


Or my favorite...Oklahoma

I'm just a turd that can't stay low

I always rise to the top

I should stay just un-der the snow

But as it melts I go 'pop'!


Sigh...when faced with a messy job, I try to make the best of it, what can I say?

4 comments:

  1. Only you could make poop this funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, my yellow is a yummy poop eater...YES, poop eater...and not only HIS poop, but his brothers and any other pup that graces our yard. So needless to say, we have to pick it up as he goes (and his brother goes)...but the good thing, we don't have that poopy mess in the spring when all the layers of snow have melted. So i guess there truly is a silver lining...we may freeze our butt off for a few mins a day, but soooo worth not having the ungodly grossness that made LTR run for the hills, to contend with...so put your slip on boots and a winter coat by the back door and run out quick when roxy goes and by spring you'll be thankful you did...just a though!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we did puppy classes there was a couple with a shepard that, mortified, announced that the dog ate all the poop in the yard, his, the geese, whatever.

    The trainer said, "Sometimes...they just like the taste of poop."

    I guess that was not what they wanted to hear...they never came back LOL

    ReplyDelete

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...