About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

You know your old when....




I love music. I would listen all the time, 24/7 if I could. I like all sorts of stuff too. I try not to pigeonhole myself into any one sound. There's a lot of stuff out there to explore. I'm a sucker for a good beat, I'll admit it. Spent my days in dance clubs with dj mixes and redubs. I even took a spin as a dj in the local girl's bar back in the day!

For the life of me...I don't know anyone on the Grammy's anymore! Sure you got your occasional rocker who shows up, and you gasp cuz they look like a used ash on the end of a long drawn on cigarette. But music talent, these days, are produced in widget factories! The build them, produce them, make them slick with a snappy, hook filled single that sucks you in. Then they toss and repeat the process. If they have any longevity, it's by dumb luck, really, or they are nice to look at. I mean, do you really think the Pussycat Dolls will be wearing their postage stamps and butt floss outfits in another 1o years?

Don't get me wrong...I'm sucked into that stuff as quick as anyone else! I can't help myself as "When I Grow Up" plays. I wiggle where I am and do the white girl head bob.

There's just somethign I miss about vinyl.

Back in the day, you use to buy an album, and after you studied the cover art, back and front, you'd slip the record out, praying for liner notes and extra art on the sleeve. I loved the "thank you's" they would put on there. It gave you some insight to the artist. Way before they were telling you everything on Facebook and Tweeting their every bowel moment to their fans, that little block of text on the sleeve was the SHIT!

I can still remember the smell of a new album....like the smell of a new radio or record player out of the box. There was something magical about it. That flat black disk that somehow produced sound.

Would I give up my ipod....NAH! But it just seems that, with the dawn of the info overload generation, the simplicity of the vinyl record will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...