About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Monday, August 10, 2009

I swear by Apollo, the healer



Hospitals are funny things. Not unlike an ant hill of activity: Nurses and doctors up and down the halls. Patients, shuffling with their chrome rolling posts, decorated with plastic bags of various liquids, swaying in time with their efforts to put one foot in front of another. Digital boxes hanging by the bed side, beeping like droids, with pressures, dosages, and heart beats.


Medical staff is reduced to uniforms of linen type pants with ties instead of buttons. Some try to bring a lil character to their drab uniforms with decorative scrubs: butterflies and smiley faces.


"Starting January 1st, we have to all be in dark blue," said one nurse. "We hate it."


It seems for a job where you clean up body fluids, hear the moaning and pain of so many people day in and day out, you'd give them the 'happy' scrubs.


You're put into a room, with no personality, but all the needs for functionality. Wall plugs galore, oxygen spigots in the walls, sinks and sanitizers. Cabinets full of patches and tape. Even the restroom is functional for wheelchair or walker access, hand rails and emergency rip cords, if assistance is needed.


Sometimes you get a roommate and the only separation is a curtain. Which the staff pulls dutifully almost like they believe it will actually create privacy. While your room mate can't see your nether-bits, the nurse will expose them for everyone to see on your side of the room.


"I'll have to expose your chest."


"Oh...no one tied your back side up."


"I just need to look under your gown."


The old saying that no one sleeps at the hospital is true. You no sooner close your eyes than someone wakes you up to check on you, poke you, roll you over or feed you food that's not fit for human consumption.


And what about HIPA? Does that not pertain to people in the hospital? Your room mate knows your business. Your nurses are talking so loud it sounds like shouting about your 'issues'. All the world knows what's going on with you.


Hospitals, built for healing people, appear to be the worst place for someone to heal!


Privacy my ass...literlly...it's hanging out my gown!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...