About Me

My photo
In my 40's and in the midst of love with my wife, ever after. I've been told I'm funny, in more ways than one. I love to laugh but love to make people laugh more. And I'm in a constant state of missing my family, but smile through the homesickness. Feel free to leave me a comment...so I know someone cares.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Do cat ghosts wear sheets?



The day after Jez left us, I had a strange 'happening'. I was in the kitchen and could have sworn I heard her sonic mew. Her mouth would open and nothing would come out till the very end of the meow. It would sound kind of like the very second a needle would go on a record. (am I dating myself?) More of a crackling than a meow.


There I was, in the middle of the kitchen and I heard it. Like it was right in my ear. I turned to the dinning room and just as I looked at the floor, probably just old habit at this point, I saw a grey streak go from under the dinning room table and run into the living room.


My first thought was our tiger striped "kitten", Doolin, was dashing through the house like her tail was on fire, as cats are known to do. But then Doolin came galloping out from under the table, as if she was chasing the other "cat" I saw shooting out from under the table.


Great...we have a ghost cat now! It would be just like our ditsy Jez to not know she was suppose to go towards the light!


To add to that, there was a strange incident this morning as well. Jez had a habit of walking the house and making this strange caterwauling sound. It was a very sad, lonely sound. She would meow at the top of her lungs and whine, usually with her favorite toy in her mouth. This occurred when you were fast asleep and would rather it didn't. Or if she thought you weren't home.


I often joked it was her crying cuz she thought she was left alone. Being part Siamese she didn't see so good and I did mention she was a bit ditsy. So it would be easy for her to look up and, even if we were sitting right there, think we had left the room.


Neither one of our other two cats have done this, or anything like it. Ringo has a barf alarm, but that's a story for another day.


So this morning I was very much asleep when, right outside our bedroom, I was jarred awake by the siren call of a cat! I woke up, cursing Jez, as I would usually do when this occurred. That's when I really woke up and realized...there is NO Jez in the house!


"Did you hear that?" I said to Laura


"Yes! What was that? Who was that?"


"I think it was Ringo."


"She's never done THAT before."


"I swear...if I get up and find Jez's toy in the hallway...I'll poo myself!"


There was not toy, but it did make me sad that maybe Ringo was calling her ol' pal. She's not been quite right since losing Jez.


I guess we pink shiny skinned folks aren't the only ones that have a piece of us missing these days. The fuzzy kids still have some adjusting to do as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

“oh shit it's shit” ― Stephen King, Different Seasons

You know how you run and run and run and you're always doing and when you finally stop to catch your breath, things around you are al...